Electrical components in your home are often the cause of an electrical fire. Many electrical fires occur because of old wiring in a home. The best way to prevent an electrical fire is to eliminate any chance of a fire from occurring.
Wiring for an electrical device that appears frayed is old or worn and should not be used. If you see any frayed wires on an electrical device, do not plug it into an outlet. You will want to replace the device or the electrical cord.
Overloading the receptacles in a home is when too many devices are plugged into the same outlet. This will typically occur during the holidays or when outlets in a room are scarce. Do not use multiple cords or adapters in a single plug. The best way to eliminate this issue is to use a power strip.
Placement or Cords
Electrical cords should never be placed under a carpet. Walking over a cord that is under a carpet often leads to wear that can cause arcing. This arcing is one cause of electrical fires in a home. Make sure an extension cord or other electrical cord is not placed in a high traffic area.